Children Services of the Washington County Free Library
provides materials and information for children ages infant
through age thirteen and their parents or adult caregivers.
We offer a variety of events and programs for children.
You'll find many of our programs and events listed below,
and we offer additional special programs throughout the
year. Please refer to the Kids
Events calendar for days and times, or contact us
at 301-739-3250 x250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular Programs at Alice Virginia and David W. Fletcher Branch
- Infant Storytime (ages 6-18 mos.): (Pre-registration required) Wednesdays at 10am & 11am
- Toddler Time (ages 18-36 mos.): (Pre-registration required) Mondays at 10 am & 11 am
- Preschool Story Time (ages 3-5 yrs.): Every Friday at 11:30 am
- Stories with Mr. Jeff: (all ages) 3rd Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM
- LEGO Challenge: 3rd Friday of the month @ 3:30 pm
Ages 6 and up- New challenge every month.
STEM Programing 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:30 PM
- November 6, 2013 — Potato Chip Science
Science specifically devoted to the composition, structure, reactions, and properties of potato chips, chip bags, lids and tubes.
- December 4, 2013 — Bubble-ology
The investigation of that misunderstood mysterious globule of gas trapped inside a liquid or solid called a bubble.
- January 8, 2014 — Astronomy
Learn about the scientific study of stars, planets, and other objects in outer space. Presentation by Chris Kopko from the William M. Brish Planetarium.
- February 5, 2014 — Real Life CSI
The Western Maryland Regional Crime Laboratory will talk to us about Forensics and we will learn how to dust for fingerprints.
- March 5, 2014 — Attack on the Fort
Come and try to build a fort that can withstand your opponent’s marshmallow catapult. (Co-presenter Washington County 4-H)
- April 2, 2013 — Junk Drawer Robotics
The challenge: build a robot from everyday household items. Learn the basics of engineering and robotics. (Co-presenter Washington County 4-H)
- May 7, 2013 — Power of the Wind
We will design and build simple devices to harness wind power. (Co-presenter Washington County 4-H)
- Summer Reading Club (all ages): June 1st - August 31st
- Preschool Crafts (ages 3 - 5): Summer
- Battle of the Books (4th - 6th grades): November - March
- Holiday Storytime and Crafts: December
- Yount Authors Writing Contest, Poetry Contest, and Easy Picture Book Contest: January-March
"Fridays at the Library" for HomeSchoolers
The Washington County Free Library hosts a series of free programs for HomeSchoolers entitled "Fridays at the Library." These are held on the 2nd Friday of each month during the school year, September - May. No registration is required. The elementary program is from 1:00-2:00 pm, and the high school program from 2:00-3:00 pm. Middle school students may choose which session they attend.
Alice Virginia & David W. Fletcher Branch
100 S. Potomac St.
Hagerstown, MD 21740
- October 11 - Healthy Eating
- November 8 - Gymnastics & Dance
- December 13 - Safety Training
- January 10 - Robotics
- February 14 - Service & Therapy Dogs
- March 14 - Watercolor Painting
- April 11 - Musical Instruments
- May 9 - Treasure Hunt